<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d9925853\x26blogName\x3d*Never+Ending+Yarn*\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://neverendingyarn.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://neverendingyarn.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d7137483203247584794', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Fiber troubles and love...

I've been spinning for a short time now and don't spend as much time as I should practicing. I've been working on some fiber that was from Brown Sheep Co. I had two bags of it and the first bag spun up okay. It wasn't great and I had some problems with drafting. The second bag is, well...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

...it's a mess. Half of it is passable but the rest is just bad. Maybe if I had more experience it would be okay but for this newbie it just ain't happening. I've decided to put it aside for now and see if experience helps.

Last night I went to Friends of Wool for an open spin. I have never actually spun around anyone that knows how to spin. I struggle with going to new places so I was totally nervous.

I learned a lot. Number one I learned that the fiber I had to spin was considered a top and probably not the best thing for a beginner. I worked on it for a while without much luck. When I asked about other fiber they brought out something else for me to try. This stuff spun up so easily. I was able to spin a really consistent ply and was loving this stuff.

The fiber that they gave me to try was Bluefaced Leicester. By the far the best stuff I had ever used. I didn't want to stop spinning it. I asked about buying some and was able to pick up 2 pounds of it. I'm tempted to go back and get more. Yeah, it's that nice!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I also picked up a couple bundles of Baby Alpaca. It's soft as buttah!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone. I learned a lot from these women and I'm going to try to go back more often. I may even take a begining spin class.

2 Comments:

At Friday, April 15, 2005 4:22:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

I've got some blue faced leicester too and it feels almost silky compare to the hogsback that I'm wading thorugh at the moment. It's weird how all the fibres can be so different, but then I suppose that's why some of us have straight, curly, blonde, black, brown hair.(Maybe even all at once!)

 
At Saturday, April 16, 2005 8:56:00 AM, Blogger Allena said...

i wanna learn how to spin it sounds like so much fun! i'm glad you found some better stuff to work with! how cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW http://neverendingyarn.blogspot.com